Connect with us

Sports

Porto and Malian striker Moussa Marega opens up on the vile racist abuse he suffered from Vitoria SC fans

frederick

Published

on

Portuguese club Vitoria Guimaraes have launched their own investigation and released an anti-racism video after Porto striker Moussa Marega was subjected to racist insults at their stadium during a league game at the weekend.

Vitoria said in a statement that racism was a ‘problem of national dimension’ and one from which government entities ‘cannot distance themselves with simplistic declarations of selective rejection and censorship.’

Political and sporting authorities including the league’s organising body Liga Portugal had earlier condemned the incident, while the police began an investigation on Monday.

Mali forward Marega was abused by Vitoria fans throughout the match that Porto won 2-1, and he scored a 60th-minute winner that he celebrated by pointing at his skin.

He later posted a message on Instagram calling fans who targeted him ‘idiots’ and also criticised referee Luis Godinho.

Vitoria’s president Miguel Pinto Lisboa said after the match that he ‘did not notice any racist insults.’

In the anti-racism video, club ambassador and former goalkeeper Neno and several first-team players talk about Vitoria’s colours and values.

‘Perhaps not many people know why Vitoria’s colours are black and white,’ Neno says. ‘Vitoria wears those colours as a reference to equality and inclusion of all, without race discrimination.’

Vitoria said they were working with police to identify those behind the abuse.

Racist behaviour is punishable by up to five years in jail in Portugal and can also attract fines of up to £8,000 (€10,000).

‘Racism is an act of betrayal of the club’s foundation,’ Vitoria said.

‘Vitoria does not accept that the good name and image of the club and its supporters to be put into question due to a criminal act which, instead of representing their way of being, feeling and acting, affronts them.’

The club criticised Liga Portugal for allegedly ignoring Vitoria’s condemnation of the Marega incident while simultaneously promoting condemnation from other clubs on the organising body’s social media channels.  

Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Enter your email to receive a weekly round-up of our best posts. Learn more!

Frederick Nuetei Nortey known professionally as Frederick Nortey is a Ghanaian Celebrity Blogger and publicist.He founded fredericknuetei.com an entertainment website and blog that primarily publishes news about Ghanaian Celebrities.

Advertisement

Sports

Nigerian Government Is A Shame To The World For Harming Citizens – Ighalo

frederick

Published

on

Nigerian Government Is A Shame To The World For Harming Citizens - Ighalo

Manchester United striker Odion Ighalo says he is ashamed of the Nigerian government following reports that soldiers opened fire on protesters in the Lekki district of the commercial capital Lagos on Tuesday.

Read More: King Lagazee To Feature On A Mix Tape With Jamaican Artistes Dubbed “Reggae Loves Unity”

Nigerians have been demonstrating nationwide every day for nearly two weeks against a police unit, the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), that rights groups had for years accused of extortion, harassment, torture and murders.

Read More: I’m Getting Use To My VGMA Win – VGMA And Song Artiste Of The Year Teflon Flex

The unit was disbanded on Oct. 11 but the protests have persisted and at least two people were shot on Tuesday. In a Twitter post, the Nigerian Army said no soldiers were at the scene of the shooting.

What do you make of this? 😢😢😢

Source: fredericknuetei.com

Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Enter your email to receive a weekly round-up of our best posts. Learn more!
Continue Reading

Sports

Jordan Ayew Test Positive For Coronavirus

frederick

Published

on

Jordan Ayew Test Positive For Coronavirus

Black Stars and Crystal Palace striker, Jordan Ayew, has become the latest sportsman to test postive for COVID-19.

Read Also: I Was Arrested Because Of My Looks – Incredible Zigi Reveals

Jordan Ayew broke the news of his COVID-19 status in a statement on his social media pages on Sunday, October 18, 2020. 

We wish him a speedy recovery.

Source: fredericknuetei.com

Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Enter your email to receive a weekly round-up of our best posts. Learn more!
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Follow Me

FOR BUSINESS / PROMOTION

Frederick Nuetei Network Media
P.O.Box JT 9 James-Town, Accra
Tel:      +233 20 5542 403
Email: advertise@fredericknuetei.com
             info@fredericknuetei.com

Subscribe To Newsletter

Enter your email below to receive latest and trending news in Ghana.

Advertisement

Breaking News

Trending